Saturday 20 October 2007

Comic Strip Script

The last comic script I wrote, without a clue as to what I was doing, was three or four years ago: Cookie was interested in illustrating a comic, so while the girl I was stayingg with was away for two weeks, I proceeded to drink as much Jack Daniels as humanly possible and write.

The result of this drunken binge was that I visited some dark places, sometime waking to find the flat trashed (ahem), and wrote a completely fucked up story about an under cover cop who had infiltrated some Colombian drug cartel, screwed all the women, had an affair with a female DEA agent sent to bring him in, then went on a rampage and killed the entire Cartel. Cookie was looking for a children's story, and a look at his site will explain why he (correctly) passed on my incoherent script. Slight difference in styles...

Anyways, last Thursday Bertrand casually mentioned he was interested in doing a comic script while we at the pub, and after too many too strong beers (Leffe is lethal, more so when it's free at a leaving do), I stumbled home pissed as a newt. Then woke at 3am, hungover. After downing anti acids and pints of water, I was still awake an hour later with an idea for a strip that wouldn't sleep. Four hours later I was rushing to complete the script and not be late for work.

It's darker* than I intended, and probably a lot more than Bertrand wanted to take on - even if he is too polite to say so - but at least it has a coherent plot this time (if a little simplistic). But I followed the sample script in the back of the excellent "30 Days of Night", so at least it is a script this time, rather than drunken scrawl and diagrams indicating how I viewed a scene of someone being thrown from a helicopter. I also did away with any speech, for no other reason than the story wrote itself that way.

So, maybe this will see the light of day. Or Bertrand will decide it's just not his style. If he does, I think I'll turn it into a novel for NaNoWriMo.

*one day I'll accept I can only do dark or funny, but have no control as to which way a story will go when I start writing.

No comments: