Saturday 26 May 2007

Macbeth in Space jumping off point

After watching Akira Kurosawa's 'Throne Of Blood' I considered reworking Macbeth, but set in space. People suggest shamelessly ripping off something is a good way of ending up with something of your own. One of the possibilities was a huge ship on which a battle raged (a gritty version of the great Startopia PC game, sadly ignored despite appearing on many a review top ten).

Obviously I've not written it yet, but it's an idea I chew on from time to time. From that has come a smaller idea: a squad/platoon of soldiers sent to penetrate enemy lines on the space ship, which is then cut off, perhaps knowingly, perhaps accidently. No chance of returning to their side. This could be something they were aware of beforehand, or something that just happens. Now I'm thinking it could almost be a starting point for a story.

The soldiers are sent to remove the the enemies ability to destroy the whole ship by disabling a self destruct device (or whatever) that resides behind enemy lines. Then their mission changes: the ship has separated in two, and they are ordered to set the bomb off to wipe the enemy out, possibly dying as a result. Can they do it in time? Can they escape if they do? Will they do it?

There are obvious possibilties for characters to rebel against the order, to try to sabotage the mission, etc etc. With loads of action, which I love writing. Ammo running dry, desperate escapes, a car chase. I'm not sure how I would work in a car chase, but I think there's mileage of one in a novel, a device long since run dry in the movies. I heard a spoken poem version of what I think was a Jack Kerouac short as a kid on the radio about a (late night?) drive, and it was incredible. Would love to hear that again...

No comments: